What Happened If A 30 LB Dog Ate One Raisin?

For some kinds of dogs, raisins can be deadly to consume an improper amount. The raisin toxicity can cause acute kidney failure, depending on your dog’s size and sensitivity.

Don’t worry because your 30 LB dog ate one raisin. You only need to monitor your dog’s behavior during 24-48 hours to detect signs of poisoning due to raisin.

If your dog feels comfortable and fine, there is no toxicity in dogs occurring. By contrast, you must take your pet to the animal poison control center to have a pet poison helpline.

I will provide you with some severe signs of toxicity due to raisin products below.

What Happened If A 30 LB Dog Ate One Raisin?

30 LB Dog Ate One Raisin

The dog’s lowest documented toxic dose for raisin ingestion is 0.1oz raisins per kg of the dog’s body weight.

If you have a 30 LB dog, it can consume about 23 raisins. However, some dogs may be more sensitive than others and show signs of toxicity after eating just one raisin.

If a 30 lb dog ate one raisin, it is advisable to induce vomiting as soon as possible and take the dog to a veterinarian for further evaluation and treatment.

This only occurs when your dog is really sensitive to raisins.

The veterinarian may give activated charcoal to bind any remaining toxin and monitor the kidney function with blood tests and urine analysis.

How To Detect Raisin Poisoning In Dogs

Suppose you do not know “What if my dog ate one raisin,” we will help you better understand common symptoms of raisin toxicity.

Remember to note all to have the best health concerns when your dog has one after eating raisins or a handful of grapes. In particular:

Common Symptoms

The common symptoms of raisin poisoning in dogs are diarrhea and vomiting phenomenons, which may occur within a few hours of ingestion.

You may also notice pieces of raisins in your dog’s vomit or stool.

Other symptoms include loss of appetite, lethargy, weakness, dehydration, increased or decreased urination, and tremors.

If your dog expresses these clinical signs and bad breath, you should contact an emergency vet to find the main cause and how to treat it.

When your dog is stuck in physical damage for a couple of hours, the baseline kidney values will be wrong to operate.

So, what is an acute kidney injury due to raisins on your dog?

Kidney Failure

Kidney failure is one of the most serious and fatal consequences of raisin poisoning or grape toxicity in dogs.

Raisins contain an unknown toxic component that damages the kidney cells, prevents them from filtering the blood, and removes waste products.

This makes your dog’s body become overloaded with toxins and fluids, causing serious kidney damage.

Raisin poisoning is not a rare occurrence. Thousands of dogs suffer from this condition yearly, and many do not survive because they do not get immediate medical attention.

That is why it is important to be aware of the dangers of raisins and grapes for some kinds of dogs and never feed them to your dog if it has any allergic signs.

How To Treat Poison Of Raisin In Dogs

dog ate 1 raisin

Many pet owners consider that “My dog ate one raisin will he be ok.” Therefore, they can be confused if there is any urgent incident with their dogs due to consuming too much raisin.

We will help you to get some useful tips to face the risk of exposure and abnormal urination in this problem.

You must take your dog to the animal poison control service. The vet will start by stabilizing your dog’s vital signs and preventing further kidney damage.

Then, he will use a medication called apomorphine to make your dog vomit and eliminate the raisins in his stomach.

There will be a slight response to your dog’s treatment; don’t worry. Your dog will feel better after these above-mentioned symptoms due to raisins.

The vet will keep your dog in the hospital for two days with IV fluids to protect his kidneys. If your dog cannot pee, he will need dialysis to filter his blood.

These steps are vital to save your dog’s life.

Are Raisins More Harmful To Your Dogs Than Grapes?

Raisins and grapes are very harmful to dogs, as they can cause kidney failure and even death.

Grapes are technically less toxic than raisins since the fruit is more-concentrated in the dried version.

Your dog will express similar abnormal signs and need to experience aggressive treatments if consuming both or even another item like soap at the improper level.

Scientists have not yet identified the exact toxin in grapes and raisins that harms dogs. However, recent studies have suggested it could be a tartaric acid chemical.

The problem is that the amount of tartaric acid in grapes and raisins can vary greatly depending on the fruit’s type, origin, and processing.

This requires you to have careful consideration when giving any fruits to your dog.


my dog ate 1 raisin

How Long After Getting One Raisin Will A Dog Get Illness?

Raisin poisoning can affect dogs within 12 hours of eating one or more raisins. The symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness, and dehydration.

Raisin poisoning can cause kidney failure and death if not treated quickly.

Can A Dog Overcome A Poison From Eating Raisins?

If a dog eats raisins, they need immediate veterinary care to remove the toxin and prevent kidney damage.

Some dogs may recover with treatment, but others may not due to serious acute kidney damage.

How Can You Prevent Your Dogs From Eating Raisins?

You should also avoid giving your dog any food that contains raisins, such as cookies, cakes, or bread.

If you have children, you should teach them not to share their snacks with your dog or leave them unattended

You’d better check your yard and garden for any grape vines or fallen fruits your dog might find.


This blog had just explained some common and additional symptoms when your 30 LB dog ate one raisin.

Remember to take your dog to the animal vet immediately to treat dangerous illnesses on your dog and keep it healthier.

Grapes and raisins are not bad for all situations for your dog; however, you should know how to add them to your dog’s meal.


Photo of author
Hi I am Mitchell. Dog Growth is a blog about dog caring and training where I share my experiences to my community. Hope you enjoy it!

Leave a Comment