My Dog Ate A Baby Bunny – Why? What Should You Do?

You must be so worried when searching for the topic that my dog ate a baby bunny. Not only you, but millions of pet owners are in the same boat.

Here we share all the ins and outs of the problem, including the solution that dog parents should do immediately. Without further ado, let’s get the ball rolling.

Is It Safe When My Dog Ate A Baby Bunny?

my dog ate a baby bunny
My Dog Ate A Baby Bunny

Yes, it is safe that your dog ate a bunny. In fact, rabbits are a protein source for your furry friend. There are rare cases reporting toxicity or diseases coming from rabbit consumption.

Rabbit meat is a dog’s favorite meat. Whenever there is a chance, they will chase rabbits relentlessly.

Still, in case your dog ate a baby bunny from the wild, it is not 100% safe. Housed animals are not used to eating raw meat.

There is a good chance these kinds of meats include toxins or pathogens that infect your pet.

Worse yet, it can be transmitted to your family member. Parasites in unclear sources of meat can be the top reason for numerous ailments in dogs too.

There are some harmful agents in the bunny meat (with symptoms of each):


It is more likely that when your dog eats bunny, it will be infested with tapeworms. 

What are tapeworms? They are flat, long, & segmented worms thriving in wild animals like rabbits. The tapeworm head is attached to your pet’s intestinal wall.

Then, it directly gets into the dog’s digestive canal.

In case there are tapeworms in your pet’s digestive tract, you can see the white segments with a small size when observing the dog’s stool. 

These particles can contain a plethora of eggs. It looks like rice grain. When your dog is unlucky to get the particles, some responses, like anal irritation, might happen.

You can notice your pet scratch/drag the butt (lower body) on cement surfaces or other flat, sturdy surfaces.

Even worse, the disease can cause vomiting and diarrhea when it is painful. Your canines gradually become lethargic & weak.

Fleas & Ticks (Bacteria &  Tularemia)

Wild rabbits carry several ticks and fleas on their smooth, fluffy coats.

So, the problem is, if your dog ate baby bunny, the bunny could transfer these species to your pet immediately when your pet bites the fresh, delicious meat.

It goes without saying that the parasitics carry numerous bacteria and pests that are dangerous to your pet.

Worse, fleas might have tapeworm eggs, and they will transfer these eggs to your pet’s body via larvae entering the bloodstream.

Meanwhile, ticks may carry tularensis – a bacteria causing rabbit fever – and will weaken your dog.

When your dog gets these parasites, their hair starts to shed more than normal. Besides, it leads to rashes or scabs by dint of overly scratching.

On top of that, it is easy for people to get Tularemia from the adorable rabbits too. Some popular symptoms when people get rabbit fever are stomach pain, high fever & eye discharge.


It is possible that your dog is being exposed to rabies if the dog ate bunny. The rabies virus often transfers via saliva, blood, & body fluids.

The death rate is high, but luckily, it is a rare case. Some typical symptoms include headache, fever, paralysis, mental breakdown & excess salivation.

If you follow the vaccine schedule for your pet, there is nothing to worry about. Other than that, you should bring your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

Why Does My Dog Eat A Bunny?

dog swallowed baby rabbit whole
The Causes Of Dog Eat A Bunny

My dog ate a rabbit – why? Because their ancestors are wolves, the apex predator in the wild, chasing prey is an instinct.

Domestic dogs love to chase and eat the bunny when these naive animals appear in their sight. The instinct differs among breeds. However, each dog has this nature in their blood.

Normally, you see your canine as super friendly and adorable. However, whenever there is prey that your pet likes, the instinct is triggered, and they become a ready predator.

Though common, there is always a reason for changing behavior in a dog. For example, a goldendoodle becoming out of control might be linked to its illness.

What Diseases Can Dogs Be Infected With After Eating A Rabbit?

Intestinal Parasites

Rabbits living in the wild are more likely to get tapeworms once they eat the feces of infected animals. As a result, your pet gets intestinal parasites too.

If you find these signs in your dog, it probably indicates that their body has tapeworms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Scooting
  • Unaccounted-for weight loss

You can observe their anus and stool to find whether it has tapeworm infestation. If there are white specks, it is more likely that your dog will get them.

If you are not sure, bring the feces to the vet to get it examined. The solution, in this case, is a dewormer tablet. Follow the veterinarian’s prescription, and your pet will be fine.


Coccidia is an infamous disease for bunnies, even baby bunnies. It is transmitted among bunnies by eating each other’s poo (from infected rabbits).

When a dog swallowed baby rabbit whole, your pet ate the infected rabbit poop too. That is why if my dog ate a baby rabbit, coccidia would be on the horizon.

At this time, your pet will start manifesting appetite loss, diarrhea, & general weakness. Some medicine will be prescribed to your dog by the veterinarian to get it out of a dangerous situation.


Once my dog ate a bunny, prepare to treat Tularemia, as we mentioned above. You will spot these on your pet:

  • Appetite loss
  • Weakness
  • Mild fever

The vet will start to test the dog’s urine, and blood and antibiotics will be on the table if your dog gets Tularemia.

Intestinal Obstruction

What happened when my dog ate a rabbit whole? If your pet is big, it is a good chance that nothing will happen as your dog can digest the meat easily.

However, if you own a small type of dog, the chance a bunny is stuck in your pet’s intestines is super high.

The blocked digestive tract causes gastric dilatation-volvulus and is an emergency. If you see your pet panting or drooling, it needs to be in the hospital at once.

You may observe your dog stretch its neck and try to look up. It is to relieve the stress in its stomach. At the vet, the veterinarian will start the x-ray to see whether it has any obstruction.

Then if it is a yes, they will begin to do surgery to help your dog.

What Should I Do If My Dog Consumes A Baby Bunny?

Normally, if your dog has a wonderful metabolism, there will be no problem. You have nothing to worry about unless your dog is vomiting or it has diarrhea.

Or suppose your dog is allergic to rabbit hair and meat, such as a runny nose, sneezing, or difficulty breathing. That is the time you should call the vet.

These symptoms will appear in 1 day or need more time than that.

In general, eating bunnies is not a big problem. However, it is not an encouraged behavior. The hidden risk is always there. That is why dog parents should train their pets not to chase these lovely bunnies.

How To Stop My Dog From Trying To Eat A Rabbit?

my dog ate a rabbit
Stop My Dog To Eat A Rabbit

Well, it is not easy to stop your pet when they are indulging in their chasing game, except for dogs that don’t like meat.

However, it is rare to see any dog refuse meat, so the best way you can protect them is by keeping them from approaching the rabbit. A leash is a big help in these situations.

In addition, redirecting them is an option. You can divert your pet’s attention by giving them their favorite meal.

In fact, the training is not easy to perform. It takes time and patience because obedience training is considered one of the hardest.

You can begin by creating a few distractions. Choose a short but powerful word to stop them and make them return to you.

When they follow your order, give them a treat. That is how you can do it.


What Happens When My Dog Eats A Dead Rabbit?

In general, your pet can handle dead meat. Its body contains enzymes that can eliminate bacteria. Almost all bacteria can not survive the stomach acid in their belly.

Even though they accidentally eat something weird, their body will automatically extract it out.

The only problem is, why is the rabbit dead? If it is dead because of poison, you should take your dog to the vet immediately when any strange symptom appears after your pet consumes dead rabbit meat.

Is It Safe For My Dog To Eat Rabbit Droppings?

Yes, it is safe if your dog accidentally eats rabbit’s dropping. In fact, bunny feces often includes hay & undigested grass. It has a good source of fiber and vitamin B12 which is good for your dog.

Still, if your dog has a sensitive digestive tract, you should spend time to see whether there is the dog allergic reaction symptom. 

Besides, a collar that stops ticks & fleas should be on your dog’s neck. Having rabbits around will cause problems if you haven’t trained them yet. So, be aware of rabbits and keep your dog safe.

How Long Does It Take A Rabbit To Digest A Rabbit?

From 3 hours to 12 hours. Still, digestion speed will depend on the dog’s breed and the food’s size too.


Now you get the idea behind why my dog ate a baby bunny. Once there is a strange behavior of your pet, you are always worried sick, especially if it is eating other animals. We feel you.

We hope that the article solves all the questions you have in your mind.

Bookmark our website to quickly access everything about dogs when you have any queries.


Photo of author
Hi I am Mitchell. Dog Growth is a blog about dog caring and training where I share my experiences to my community. Hope you enjoy it!

Leave a Comment