Should I Induce Vomiting If My Dog Ate A Mushroom? – Detailed Answer

Pets are highly curious animals, so they can eat or lick anything they find. That’s why mushroom poisoning cases in dogs are so common.

Many owners expressed confusion and wondered, “Should I induce vomiting if my dog ate a mushroom.”

So what should you do in cases like these? Check it out.

Should I Induce Vomiting If My Dog Ate A Mushroom? 

should i induce vomiting if my dog ate a mushroom

In case of mild poisoning (only nausea, vomiting, mild diarrhea) or within 2 hours after the dog ingests poisonous mushrooms, it can be treated at home by inducing vomiting.

This method helps to remove toxic food.

First, you need to be sure whether or not the fungus your pets have just eaten is poisonous.

Some hyperactive dogs may clumsily eat or steal some mushrooms from the kitchen when you’re not paying attention.

Common types of mushrooms are safe, and they will not cause poisoning in dogs; There is nothing to worry about unless they are allergic to this food.

In case your dog ate yard mushrooms or any kind that you can’t determine about mushroom toxins, the best way is to force them to vomit.

To ensure effectiveness and safety, you should seek the help of a veterinarian.

At a professional medical facility, doctors will inject apomorphine – a drug that stimulates animals to vomit for about 15 minutes.

Don’t try to do it yourself at home with any method because it can harm the dog and waste the golden time for treatment.

The longer the poison stays in the stomach, the worse.

What Happens If My Dog Eats A Mushroom? 

Foods that humans can eat are also safe for animals. You don’t need to worry too much when you see pets taking out a mushroom from the kitchen.

Although stealing food is not nice, it will not cause serious consequences.

Some edible mushroom species for dogs are Shiitake, Maitake, or Reishi. Studies have shown that these have many healthful nutrients and do not cause abnormalities.

Most species of mushrooms in the world are harmless. Among them, the proportions of toxic mushroom species are quite low.

Only 50 are poisonous out of more than 4,000 in the UK. Most of them are mildly toxic, and their Range Of Symptoms is also quite mild.

This does not mean you can be subjective when seeing your four-legged friend holding a strange mushroom.

More than 90% of mushroom poisoning deaths are caused by amanitin toxins from the Death Cap Mushroom.

Some wild mushrooms make dogs sick because they are highly toxic, but identifying them can be difficult because not everyone is an expert on this food.

Some types of mushrooms can attract your dog due to their unique scent and cause poisoning.

How To Identify A Dog With Mushroom Poisoning?

dog ate mushroom outside

There are many cases of pets, especially dogs, suffering from symptoms of mushroom poisoning.

Because the nature of pets is very naughty and greedy, they often rummage around and eat junk outside and get poisoned.

This causes great harm if not detected early and treated promptly. Symptoms of poisoning depend on the species of poisonous mushrooms they have eaten.

Owners don’t always know what their dogs have eaten, so be on the lookout for the following common symptoms:

  • Drooling, mouth irritation
  • Dog vomiting
  • Nausea, pale gums
  • Abdominal pain, diarrhea
  • Weak, tired, moody
  • Lack of vitality, do not like to exercise
  • Unsteady walking, convulsions, difficulty breathing
  • Liver failure, jaundice
  • Abnormal heartbeat

The final symptom is a coma indicating that the dog is close to death due to a large amount of poison that has been absorbed into the body.

The extent of mushroom toxicity effects may also depend on the dog’s inherent health status and the combination of foods eaten.

These clinical signs may not occur immediately but will appear later.

When any one or a few of the above signs of poisoning appear, quickly take the pet to an emergency veterinarian as soon as possible.

What To Do When My Dog Ate A Mushroom And Is Throwing Up?

my dog ate mushrooms what do i do

When pets accidentally ingest poisonous mushrooms, quick and accurate treatment is the key to increasing your chances of survival.

Since this is a rather complicated accident, handling measures will require supportive care with certain expertise.

Administration Of Activated Charcoal

Its porous nature makes it very absorbent, capturing several substances on the surface, including inorganic and organic substances.

It is important that it is not toxic, not absorbed into the blood, but excreted from the body in the feces (black color).

That’s why it greatly affects emergency food poisoning prevention, especially in treating and handling toxic mushroom poisoning.

It is also an effective solution for treating indigestion, flatulence, and bloating diseases.

With dogs, oral treatment is the most common method. For pets resistant to using activated charcoal, you can mix it in water or with your dog’s favorite food.

This way will reduce the absorption of charcoal, so it is best to pump it directly into their mouth.

You should do it as soon as possible, preferably within 1-3 hours after the poison is introduced into the body.

The drug will no longer work when the poison has entered the bloodstream.

Activated charcoal is not toxic, but you should still consult a doctor. Please don’t use too much because it can cause constipation and nausea.

Induce Vomiting

As noted above, induction of vomiting is the most effective way to remove toxic food from the stomach immediately after eating.

In clinics, inducing vomiting with apomorphine is often the method of choice for doctors.

In 2020, the FDA also indicated that Clevor (ropinirole) eye drops can cause pets to vomit when put in their eyes. This is a prescription drug and can only be used by doctors.

As most family bathrooms have it, hydrogen peroxide is the best and most convenient option for owners.

This antiseptic works like an emetic, especially when you can’t get the patient to the vet in time.

However, it would help to use only those with concentrations lower than 3% to avoid toxicity.

Hydrogen peroxide will irritate the animal’s intestinal tract and cause them to vomit.

Owners can walk their pets around after taking the medicine to help them vomit faster.

If there is no movement after 10 minutes, give them another dose and contact the doctor for a stronger treatment.

Mushroom experts advise owners not to induce vomiting by unsafe means such as salt water, alcohol, ipecac syrup, or gagging their dog’s mouth with their fingers.

IV Therapy

An intravenous infusion (IV therapy) is an infusion of intravenous fluids, blood, or water into the body through veins under the skin.

This is the most effective route of drug administration to treat dehydration, blood loss, detoxification, diuretics, etc.

The drug is directly distributed throughout the body through the bloodstream to have a faster and stronger effect.

The needle insertion site will have a milder pain response than an intramuscular injection.

The drug is directly infused into the blood and will not be affected by the gastrointestinal tract or other organs, which helps to avoid the reduction or loss of the drug’s effect.  

Diseases such as poisoning, diarrhea, and fever dehydrate the patient, leading to exhaustion and even death.

Infusion water infusion greatly affects the treatment and recovery of pet health.

This method is commonly used for cats and dogs, but we can only infuse a small amount suitable for the body of dogs with tight skin to muscle.

It can be given to the animal several times to provide the necessary fluids.

IV therapy requires expertise because even a small mistake can lead to dangerous complications.

Liver And Kidney Management

Liver failure occurs when liver cells are suddenly damaged by toxins, reducing liver function and causing severe liver damage.

If not treated in time, it can leave many dangerous complications, such as irreversible liver failure, acute kidney injury, and death.

Thus, focusing on maintaining hydration and supporting liver and kidney function is necessary to increase survival, especially for pets that have liver disease and kidney disease.


To the question at the beginning that says, “Should I induce vomiting if my dog ate a mushroom” the answer is yes.

All the same, remember that it only works for mild poisoning within 2 hours after toxic mushroom ingestion. To be sure, you should still consult a veterinarian.


Photo of author
Hi I am Mitchell. Dog Growth is a blog about dog caring and training where I share my experiences to my community. Hope you enjoy it!

Leave a Comment