Are Cherry Pits Bad For Dogs? Safety Notes When Feeding

It’s heart-melting seeing our four-legged friends feast on their favorite fruits, but when it comes to cherries, caution is crucial. Are cherry pits bad for dogs?

While the flesh of cherries can be a delightful treat for dogs, the pits hiding inside can spell trouble.

So, in this blog post, I’ll explore the potential risks and dangers associated with cherry seeds and why they should be avoided when it comes to our canine companions.

Are Cherry Pits Bad For Dogs? What Are The Risks?

are cherry pits bad for dogs

Cherry pits do no good for canines, as they contain a poisonous substance called cyanide, which can be fatal.

While the fleshy part of cherries can be safe for dogs in moderation, it’s important to understand the potential dangers associated with the kernels.

Stomach Upset

One of the immediate risks associated with dogs consuming cherry pits is sensitive stomach upset.

The pits contain tough, indigestible material that can trigger irritation and discomfort in a dog’s gastrointestinal tract.

My pooch suffered from vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite when I accidentally gave her unpitted cherry fruits, just like when feeding her sun-dried tomatoes.

Cyanide Poisoning

A single cherry pit contains cyanogenic glycoside, a compound that can metabolize into cyanide when chewed or digested.

Cyanide is a highly toxic substance that affects the body’s ability to utilize oxygen properly.

Ingesting cherry pits, especially in large quantities or if the pits are crushed, can be the recipe for cyanide poisoning in dogs.

Signs of cyanide poisoning may include difficulty breathing, dilated pupils, red gums, weakness, and even more severe conditions such as shock.

Bowel Obstruction

Cherry pits are hard and can present a choking hazard or cause blockages in a dog’s digestive system.

If a dog swallows a whole cherry pit, it may become lodged in the esophagus, stomach, or intestines, leading to a bowel and intestinal obstruction.

Signs of intestinal obstruction can include vomiting, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, constipation, or difficulty passing stool.

This condition requires immediate veterinary intervention to prevent further complications, such as tissue damage or perforation.

Which Parts Of The Cherry Are Poisonous And Which Are Not?

While fresh cherries can be a tasty treat for humans, certain parts of cherry trees contain substances that are toxic to dogs.

Here’s some information regarding cherries and their toxicity to dogs.

Cherry fruit (fleshy part) – safe: The flesh of ripe cherries is generally safe for dogs to consume in small amounts.

However, cherries are packed with sugar and should be given sparingly every so often.

Cherry pits (seeds) – toxic: Cherry pits contain a compound called amygdalin, which metabolizes into cyanide when chewed or digested.

Cyanide is toxic to both humans and dogs.

Ingesting cherry pits can lead to symptoms such as difficulty breathing, dilated pupils, red gums, and potentially even more severe conditions.

Pit leaves and stems – toxic: The stems, leaves, and other green parts of the cherry plant contain cyanogenic glycosides, which can also produce cyanide.

If a dog ingests excessive amounts of cherry stems or leaves, it can lead to cyanide poisoning.

Your dog might experience dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, shock, and even death.

What To Do When Your Dog Ate Cherry Pits

Can dogs eat dried pitted cherries

If you suspect that your dog has ingested cherry pits, it’s important to take action promptly.

  • Stay calm: It’s understandable to feel worried, but it’s important to stay calm to handle the situation effectively.
  • Remove any remaining cherry pits: If you can safely do so, check your dog’s mouth to see if there are any remaining cherry pits. If you find any, try to remove them gently without causing harm to yourself or your dog. Be cautious not to get bitten in the process.
  • Monitor your dog’s behavior: Keep a close eye on your dog for any unusual symptoms. Watch for signs such as difficulty breathing, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, dilated pupils, or changes in behavior.
  • Contact your veterinarian or pet poison helpline: If your dog has ingested cherry pits, it’s crucial to contact your veterinarian immediately. Describe the situation and follow their guidance.

How To Safely Feed The Dog Cherries

If your dogs eat cherries, it’s essential to do so in a safe and controlled manner.

  • Step 1: Before treating your dog to tasty cherry fruits, make sure to discard the pits and stems.
  • Step 2: Rinse the cherries thoroughly to wash away any dirt, pesticides, or other contaminants. Use clean water and ensure they are free from any harmful substances.
  • Step 3: Cut the fruits into bite-sized pieces so that your pooch can consume and digest more easily.
  • Step 4: If it’s the first time your dog is trying cherries, start with a small amount. Observe your dog for any adverse reactions or digestive issues. Some dogs may have sensitivities or allergies to cherries, so it’s important to monitor their response.

Keep a close eye on your dog after they have consumed cherries. Look for any signs of an upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, or other unusual symptoms.

If you notice any adverse reactions, discontinue giving cherries to your dog and consult your veterinarian.

Just like blueberry pancakes, cherries should only be given as a treat in moderation, especially maraschino cherries. For this type, it’s ok if your dog eats one or two cherries.

Remember that cherries boast a rich sugar content and should not be a significant part of your dog’s regular diet.

Too much sugar can lead to weight gain, dental issues, and other health problems.

Frequently Asked Questions

cherry pits in dogs

Can My Dog Eat Dried Cherries?

No. Dried cherries are concentrated in sugar and may contain added preservatives or sweeteners, which can be harmful to dogs.

Plus, the drying process removes most of the moisture from the cherries, making them a potential choking hazard for dogs.

How Many Gram Of Cyanide Are In A Cherry Pit?

The exact amount of cyanide in a cherry pit can vary depending on factors such as the size and variety of the cherry.

However, on average, a cherry pit contains approximately 0.17 grams (170 milligrams) of cyanide.

How Do You Flush Poison Out Of A Dog’s System?

To flush the poison out of a dog’s system, you should seek immediate veterinary assistance.

The veterinarian will provide specific instructions based on the type of deadly poison ingested and your dog’s condition.

Do not attempt to flush the toxin out on your own without professional guidance.

The Bottom Line

Are cherry pits bad for dogs? It’s essential to remember that pitted cherries can be harmful to dogs.

The potential risks, including cyanide poisoning, choking hazards, and bowel obstructions, make it necessary to avoid exposing our furry friends to these dangers.

Prioritizing their safety means keeping cherry pits out of their reach and opting for safer treats instead.


Photo of author
Hi I am Mitchell. Dog Growth is a blog about dog caring and training where I share my experiences to my community. Hope you enjoy it!

Leave a Comment