Dog Ate Brillo Pad: What’s Wrong With My Hairy Friend?

Naughty dogs never sit still but constantly rummage through your kitchen for food.

Unfortunately, some dogs are attracted to the Brillo pad and try to swallow this dangerous item.

So, what could happen if my dog ate Brillo pad? And what should you do to deal with this situation most effectively? This article will give you all the information you are looking for.

What Are The Brillo Pad?

dog ate brillo pad

Brillo pads first appeared in New York City around the 1900s, with a design made of steel wool combined with dish soap.

In addition to the main use of cleaning dishes, it also helps a lot in other interior cleaning jobs.

According to the manufacturer’s explanation, “Brillio” is derived from the Latin word “bright,” and it in Spanish means “shine.”

In the period when aluminum pans and pots have replaced cast iron utensils in the kitchen, the Brillio pad is especially helpful in dealing with blackened cookware, helping them regain their shiny new look.

Why My Dog Ate Brillo Pad?

When the Brillio pad is slick with grease and smoky bits of burnt meat (like pork, chicken, beef), a hungry dog won’t be able to resist!

Alternatively, your furry friend may have Pica syndrome, commonly found in animals.

Pica syndrome causes dogs to devour anything within their sight, such as paper, stone, cloth, wood, and even feces.

Some causes of Pica syndrome in dogs include stress ( from being in a confined space for a long time) and nutritional imbalances.

Left untreated, it can cause poisoning, gastrointestinal parasites, anemia, diabetes, liver disease, and thyroid-related problems.

What Happens If Dog Eats Steel Wool?

The Brillio metal mesh scouring pads are from thin and sharp wire shavings bonded together.

When dogs try to chew on the steel wool, these fibers fall out and cause damage to the stomach and intestines.

Dog stomach acid is very strong and is a hundred times more effective at digesting human stomach acid.

Thanks to its ability to maintain acid levels for about 5 hours of digestion, it can easily break down bones and meat in just an hour.

But if you thought this impressive ability was enough to digest the steel wool shards from the Brillio pad, you would be wrong!

It cannot be affected no matter how long it is in the dog’s stomach.

Although the chemicals in the Brillio pads are not too toxic, it is “caustic,” which causes burns and damage to the stomach.

In addition, wool can also lead to blockages, causing esophageal spasms and vomiting in dogs.

What Are The Symptoms Of A Blockage In A Dog?

my dog ate a brillo pad

If you notice the Brillo pad in your kitchen disappearing while your dog suddenly exhibits the following strange behavior, it is a sign of a blockage in your dog.

The most common signs include:

  • Unable to defecate
  • Straining during bowel movement
  • Refusing to lie down
  • Having too much drool
  • Abdominal pain, diarrhea, and tarry stools
  • Vomiting
  • Dehydration
  • Gas, flatulence
  • Not interested in food
  • Bowing, groaning, and indifference

How To Treat Bowel Obstruction In Your Dogs After Ingesting Brillo Pads?

When the dog eats foreign items, the severe blockage inside a pet’s intestines can cause bowel rupture and death.

Therefore, taking your 4-legged friend to the vet is best as soon as possible.

Usually, your veterinarian will perform an X-ray or ultrasound to check for the source and location of the intestinal blockage.

Sometimes, your vet may do an endoscopy and remove the foreign object.

Vomiting should only be done with the consent of a qualified veterinarian. Never try doing it yourself at home, as it can cause more damage to the dog’s stomach.

In severe cases, the dog will need hospitalization, IV fluids, and specialized drugs.

Your vet will administer anesthesia, make an incision in the abdomen, and remove the source of the blockage.

After your hairy friend is discharged from the hospital, you must ensure your dog takes the prescribed medication, drinks fluids, eats an easy-to-digest diet, and gets enough rest.

How To Stop A Dog From Eating Steel Wool/Brillo Pad

What happens if dog eats steel wool

Keeping the steel wool pad out of your dog’s reach is best to prevent future hazards.

Try using a sponge – an eco-friendly, biodegradable product that provides the same cleaning effect as Brillo pads with soap in it.

A sponge is made from coir, cellulose, palm fiber, recycled synthetic fiber, and walnuts. They are odorless and also cannot break off easily during cleaning.

If the dog accidentally eats the sponge, removing it will be easier without surgical intervention.

In addition, psychological and behavioral training of pets is also a good way to ensure they will not gobble up any items in the house.

Sign up for a local pet training class, and you’ll see your hairy friend curb this bad habit dramatically.


What If My Puppy Ate A Cotton Pad?

A small cotton pad can pass through the dog’s digestive tract and out without any physical issues.

Stomach acids sometimes even partially damage the object. However, the oversized cotton pad can cause intestinal obstruction and affect the functioning of the digestive system.

Home remedies will probably not work and aggravate the foreign object blockage.

Therefore, bring the dog to the veterinary facility for X-ray, endoscopic, or surgical procedures.

Can Dogs Digest Cotton Fabric?

The answer is a big “No”! Cloth cannot be corroded by stomach acid during digestion.

Fortunately, small pieces of fabric (such as a sock) are easily compressed and passed through the urinary tract.

Sometimes, it will get stuck in the throat, and the dog will vomit just minutes after eating.

Is Eating Steel Wool Dangerous For My Dog?

Definitely yes! The metal mesh and steel wool products have extremely sharp strands, which easily cause damage to the intestinal wall and obstruction.

Besides, it makes the dog moody, no longer interested in anything, and spends all day whining in pain.

Because dogs easily mistake steel wool for toys, you should never leave such dangerous products in the dog’s sight.

If your dog ate a Brillo pad, please take your dog to the nearest veterinary facility immediately.

Our Final Thought

Any furry friend has an incredibly innocent side, like a four-year-old child.

Besides ensuring a healthy living environment and bland diet for the dog, you must also keep all the dangerous objects out of its reach.

But your dog ate Brillo pad by accident, don’t worry too much. Take your dog to get rid of the mess in its stomach immediately. Good luck!


Photo of author
Hi I am Mitchell. Dog Growth is a blog about dog caring and training where I share my experiences to my community. Hope you enjoy it!

Leave a Comment